Monday, March 22, 2010

Musings

It has been an interesting week or so.  I decided to take a huge leap of faith.  I went to get a haircut (that was NOT the leap of faith in case you were wondering) and afterwards, the stylist pointed out that maybe I could put my jewelry in their salon.  I had already noticed that they had a really nice jewelry display in the salon.  However, knowing that this was a pretty high-end salon, for which I usually save up my money and only get my hair cut about 4 times a year, I did not think that they would even consider my jewelry something worth putting in their salon.

Needless to say, I was very excited to hear that my stylist and several other employees loved my work.  The leap of faith comes in because they told me to talk to the store manager about setting up a time to showcase my work and possibly set up a wholesale arrangement. 

Those of us that sell our wares on the internet, such as Etsy and Artfire, or even an independent website, know that we don't make most of our money from those sites.  We do make our living from craft shows, art fairs, judged shows and home shows.  An opportunity to do wholesale does not just fall into your lap like this, especially when you are just starting out.  Who am I to walk away?

I have spent the majority of this weekend trying to decide on what to make so that the right price point is available for me to present to them, the right items are available that are quick to make, but show my style and yet are those items that say "I have to have this NOW!" to the customers.  My jewelry will be sitting beside pieces that are commercially made and I want them to stand out and customers to be proud to have any item that is not only uniquely theirs but is also...knotted and twisted.

This is me stepping out of my comfort zone, meeting people and taking a huge leap of faith that I CAN DO THIS.  If I can, so can you, in anything Life throws at you.  Grab it by the horns, the collar, the shirt tail or the panhandle and let's go!

1 comment:

  1. That is so great! It's not only a leap of faith, but in my opinion a sign God is in this that you didn't have to knock down their door but the stylist wants your work in her store! It's amazing, and I think it's a sign of things to come.

    ReplyDelete